Marian & Richard Ellis of
‘Wetheron’ has been owned and managed by four generations of Ellis’ for over 100 years. Russell (R.A.) Ellis purchased ‘Ibbottvale’ in 1915 to expand his race horse stud and to produce fine wool. Russell later renamed the property ‘Wetheron’.
Since the early years, the next 3 generations have worked to open up and improve the property’s pasture base and increase its production. Over the years, ‘Wetheron’ has supported a range of enterprises including a Hereford bull stud and a tulip bulb production and export business.
Craig Ellis and his wife Marian took over the property from Craig’s parents in 1980. Craig passed away unexpectedly in 2006, however, Marion & her son Richard continue to jointly farm the property and have recently expanded in to broad acre irrigation. However, Merino sheep remain the cornerstone enterprise – producing on average, 200 bales of superfine merino wool each year.
When asked about the family’s philosophy to farming, Richard Ellis stated “We recognize that we are merely custodians of this land, and such we need to manage our resources responsibly and sustainably for the benefit of future generations. We are constantly looking to improve the productivity of the property, whilst preserving its environmental values.”
Site designed by
James Calvert Collaborative Design Studio